If I Were President by Daniel, St. Charles School, Bloomington, IN, March 2008
Announcing the Winners of Your Art Here’s 6th annual youth art billboard competition, Billboard Generation VI, beginning March 1st!
Your Art Here (YAH) is pleased to announce the winning entries of the sixth annual youth art billboard competition, Billboard Generation VI. In celebration of National Youth Art Month, YAH asked kids to make art on the topic “If I Were President…” Seven entries made by grade school through high school students will be on display on billboards in Bloomington and Indianapolis during the month of March.
The Billboard Generation project provides kids the opportunity to express themselves to the community through visual dialogue. This year’s theme, “If I were president …,” is inspired by the upcoming 2008 presidential election. We hope that this topic will encourage kids to understand the multi-dimensional roles and responsibilities of the presidency and how they can impact, if they were president, their community, their nation and nations abroad. Through visual expression, they will be able to explore current events and issues that affect them at a personal and community level. The topic is meant to encourage reflection on what qualities, characteristics, skills and experiences are critical in leading a large and diverse democratic nation. Lastly, this year’s theme will also instill at an early age the significance of voting for elected representatives and officials.
By providing public advertising spaces for youth art we hope to encourage thought on how to enrich our community through visual dialogue. Through this project we want to instill in kids the desire, knowledge, and confidence that will allow them to engage their community and world throughout their lives.
Winning Entries for Bloomington Billboards:
- If I Were President by Daniel, St. Charles Borromeo School, Bus. St. Rd. 37, 0.75 miles north of 45/46 Bypass
- The War in Iraq Will Be Stopped by William, Arlington Heights Elementary School, 3rd St. and College Ave., northwest corner
- STOP WAR by Sara, Jackson Creek Middle School, 17th St., 0.4 miles west of College Ave.
- EFS (Enforce Free Speech) by Jordan, Pinnacle School, 101 E. 6th St. [map]
Winning Entries for Indianapolis Billboards:
- New Flag by Alexa, St. Matthew Catholic School, 922 Massachusetts Avenue [map]
- The Hungry by Michael, St. Matthew Catholic School, 888 Massachusetts Avenue [map]
- Voice by Kelsey, Broad Ripple High School, 1206 East 16th Street [map]
Funding for this year’s BBG VI is provided by the City of Bloomington, the Bloomington Community Arts Commission, and the donations of friends of Your Art Here. Billboard Generation VI is sponsored by Your Art Here and supported by these fine organizations: Bloomington Community Arts Commission, City of Bloomington, Harrison Center for the Arts, the Monroe County Library and the John Waldron Arts Center.